This week we start our new song of the week addition to our Yule Log offering. For week one we have Away in a Manger. There are TONS of different versions of this song, and there are definitely more than one tune that it can be sung to (more on that another day). The song tells the story of the baby Jesus and his nights in the stable so long ago, a prayer really . Listed below are some links to a variety of versions I dug up to share with our readers. Please let us know what you think about these. We will be narrowing in on which version we recommend from the YL 365, and more importantly the versions that need to be removed from the annual playlist. Listen to them all…
- Organ Recording– For some reason carols can all sound a little more sacred when played on the organ I believe.
- Nat King Cole Recording– this is one of the earlier recordings of the tune. Classic!
- Bing Crosby sings it– another classic recording of this annual favorite.
- Casting Crowns Recording– a kind of contemporary Christian feel to it.
- Susan Boyle Performance– this is a nice version of singer with boys choir accompanying.
- John Denver Recording– a simple version with voice and guitar.
- Johnny Cash Christmas Album– who know Cash did a holiday recording? Interesting- listen!
- Piano Interlude– This artsy version by Howlett mixes in some other carols. (Perfect to play in your candle shop)
- Wiggles Christmas– Even these guys have a recording- pretty straight forward though.